Economics in One Lesson, eating an elephant, and Education for Business

This is the third day that I have been consolidating my blogs. My task for today is to organize the articles I published in Economics in One Lesson, eating an elephant, and Education for Business. After starting the day with a study on Revelation 1:1-8, I now proceed to these blogs.

Economics in One Lesson is also an unfinished project. I have lots of those. One topic will catch my attention and then I will start blogging about it, and along the way, I will lose the motivation to continue. 


In Economics in One Lesson, I published three articles: the Preface, the Lesson, and the Broken Window and the Blessings of Destruction. Let me repeat here what I wrote about the Preface. In that article, I mentioned that the author, Henry Hazlitt, "introduced the nature of the content of the book." There he gave what the readers should expect in reading the book for them to appreciate its significance. My overall assessment of the book, though it was written in 1946, the author's analysis of economic fallacies remains relevant. It appears that since Hazlitt's time, no major breakaway happened from the prevailing economic ideas. Realizing this fact causes me to stop wondering why ideas in the book are not taught in mainstream education. 

Turning to the second article, there we find how Hazlitt summarized economics in just one sentence and the interrelated causes for the perpetuation of economic fallacies. Here's Hazlitt's summary of economics:

"The art of economics consists in looking not merely at the immediate but at the longer effects of any act or policy; it consists in tracing the consequences of that policy not merely for one group but for all groups" (p. 5).
As to the causes for the continuation of economic fallacies, "they include the difficulty of understanding sound economics due to its tight reasoning, the influence of special interest groups, human inclination to see immediate results, the subtlety of professional economists to sell half-truths, the setting aside of common sense in public economics and the refusal to see the long-term effects of a particular economic policy." 


Shifting our attention to the next blog, eating an elephant, this too is an unfinished project. The reason for the title is due to the problem of reading and digesting the enormous size (compared to an elephant) of material that Gary North published since 1973. Imagine, it took him 39 years to complete his 31 volumes of economic commentary on the Bible. Excluding the four separate appendix volumes, the total number of pages is 8,550. You need years of focused attention to complete reading such an impressive accomplishment.  

In this blog, I only published three articles: the Bible and Skeptics, the Bible and the Study of Economics, and Living in a Personal World. 

Now to my last blog for today, Education for Business, I also wrote three articles on entrepreneurship. Instead of making a separate article in my Consolidated Blogs, I decided to just include them in the list of articles I wrote on entrepreneurship. So all in all, I have now nine articles on entrepreneurship. 








Mga Komento

Mga sikat na post sa blog na ito

People of Wisdom (Proverbs 1)

The Special Duties of Husbands to their Wives

Ownership