An Evening of Eschatology

After watching last night in YouTube, An Evening of Eschatology, I became more convinced that the victory of Christ and His Church is certain not only in the life to come or in eternity, but in human history.

When I first read a book on eschatology by J. Marcelus Kik, I thought that my initial postmillennial conviction would just be transitory to Amillennialism. However, after 34 years, I remain a convinced postmillennialist despite what happened in my life and what has been happening around the world. If I would allow my own life journey to determine my eschatology, I think I would prefer a view of the last things that is darker and more frightening. Of course, none of the two alternative schools of thought would say that theirs is a dark and a frightening eschatology. They still see Christ and the people of God as victorious. The only difference in the way I see it is their view of human history. It seems to me that the alternative schools of thought paint a very negative conclusion of history except from a cataclysmic intervention of God associated with Christ's Second Coming. 

Not only our tragic and bitter experiences in life, current events too can influence the way we see the unfolding of the last things. Unfortunately, if we do that, it is no longer biblical exegesis that dictates our theology, but the most recent events. With so many bad things happening in our time, it is easy to lose sight that in comparison to previous periods in human history such as the ancient and the medieval, still we are so fortunate in so many ways. Great things have been accomplished in the modern era in terms of human rights, education, scientific discoveries, medicine, and others. And the gospel plays a significant role in all these achievements.

Study of the last things is neither about the exact calendar of future events nor about the recent ugly news. To me, it is all rooted in biblical exegesis of the doctrines of creation, covenant, and the Great Commission pointing to Christ as their center. 

Mga Komento

Mga sikat na post sa blog na ito

People of Wisdom (Proverbs 1)

The Special Duties of Husbands to their Wives

Ownership